Update to the National Gear Rules - Body Protectors
On the 28th July 2022, we published an update on body protectors, and how to apply the ruling in the PCA Gears Rules, that took effect 1 July 2022 (see here).
As we reported at the State Forum last week, the PCA Gears Rules Committee was undertaking a review, and from this, a few amendments are going to be made.
Whilst the PCA Gears Rules on the website is yet to reflect these changes, we have received official confirmation of the immediate change to Rule 1.04 Body Protectors.
Please be advised that Rule 1.04 will now read:
Permitted in all disciplines.
They are mandatory when jumping fixed obstacles (Group B disciplines) for all ages and grades.
They are also mandatory for Ride to Time and Speed to Safety in Group B.
Body protectors must be equestrian make and of standard:
- BETA Level 3 (2009 or 2018)
- EN13158 (2009 or 2018) Level 3
If you have a BETA Level 3:2003 version, this will not be permitted when the 2022 National Gear Rules are updated and renamed the 2023 version (due for release later this month).
If you are upgrading to a new body protector, please consider the EN13158 Level 3 or Beta Level 3 with the 2018 code, as these will be the only ones approved from 1st January 2025.
It is also recommended that body protectors be replaced every five years.
- BETA Level 3 (2009 or 2018) and EN13158 (2009 or 2018) Level 3 body protectors are acceptable under the PCA Gear Rules, effective immediately (20/0/2022),
- EN13158: 2009 Level 3 body protectors no longer require an exemption application to be completed.
- When the new version of the PCA Gears Rules are released later this month, we will communicate all specific changes.
Should you have any further questions, please contact the office, or your local Zone Representative.
Pony Club Sponsors
Pony Club Victoria
73-75 MACKIE ROAD, MULGRAVE 3170 | P: 03 8686 8925