Pony Club Victoria History
The movement originated in Britain in November 1929 as scheme to encourage young people to ride, whilst providing the opportunity for these young people to benefit from instruction at a higher standard than many could obtain individually. The first overseas Branch was formed in Gibraltar in January 1930.
The Pony Club Association of Victoria, (PCAV) was formed at a meeting held at the Royal Melbourne Showgrounds on 13 January 1954, with seven affiliated clubs - Berwick, Eltham, Footscray, Mountain District, Shepparton, Vermont and Western District. The Vermont and Footscray Clubs have since disbanded.
View Family Tree Click Here
PCAV is affiliated with the British Horse Society, the Pony Club Australia and Equestrian Australia (Victorian Branch).
The affairs of PCAV were administered from its State Headquarters at 12 Warleigh Grove, North Brighton; until December 2007 when the office was moved to 73/75 Mackie Road, Mulgrave. The Association Clubs purchased this property in May 1974, through a co-operative venture. This was the 'brainchild' of the late Mr Norm Wilkin, Hon Treasurer to PCAV from 1970-1991. At the time of purchase, this was the first centre in Australia, wholly owned by a State Pony Club Association.
Rapid increase in membership in the 1960s necessitated the formation of Zones (areas) to facilitate administration and organisation. Ultimately 10 Zones were formed – each more or less geographical in concept, with a membership ranging from 16 to 26 Pony Clubs.
The Association is directed by the individual Pony Clubs – from the Clubs to the Zones, to the Association Council. Refer to the 'Line and Staff' illustration. (Click here)
The PCAV State Office was named 'Irving House' in March 1976. It was named as a tribute to Miss Kay Irving, MBE for her commitment and dedication to Pony Clubbers during her period of time as Chief Instructor 1958-1983. The name has continued with the property in Mackie Road, Mulgrave also being named 'Irving House'.
Tribute to Miss Kay (Click Here)
In 2006-7 a History Competition was run, to get as many stories and pictures from our members and clubs as we could. The winners of this competition can be found here.