WHAT YOU ARE AIMING TO ACHEIVE
- Creating a base to embed a child safe environment at your club by:
- Adopting/developing a Statement of Commitment to child safety
- Adopting/developing a Child Safety Policy
- Confirming your commitment to child safety and the best interests of children
- Making a commitment to child safety clear to people in your organisation, children, families and the community
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO
- Develop a new (or review your existing) child safe policy
- Develop a statement of commitment to child safety.
- Train your committee members, coaches, volunteers and members to understand how these policies affect them.
- Communicate your policy widely through direct emails, newsletters, social media, written reports, your website and anywhere your club puts information.
- Create a role at your Club for at least one person who manages enquiries and complaints. This may be a Member Protection Information Officer (MPIO) or a designated Child Safe Officer (CSO), or these roles may be combined.
- Put the contact details of this person on your website and in communications.
THINGS TO THINK ABOUT
- Include your child safe policy and additional material in all inductions and welcome meetings for committee members, coaches, officials, volunteers and members.
- Create an induction process for all individuals who are riding, parents or support people.
- Promote a “policy of the month” via your newsletters, social media and communication channels
- Provide an outline of the policy development process you have undertaken
- Provide members with easy access to your child safe policy
DEVELOPING A CHILD SAFE POLICY | CHILD SAFE POLICY TEMPLATE